Operations & Community Services is responsible for the maintenance of the municipal road system, storm sewers, storm water management ponds and sidewalks. In addition, the Division works in cooperation with the County of Simcoe's Environmental Services Department on waste management and recycling programs. The administration of a majority of the Corporation’s fleet of vehicles and departmental equipment is also the responsibility of this section. The different types of fleet equipment maintained by Operations & Community includes light/medium/heavy vehicles, tractors, excavators, construction and snow removal equipment.
Road Network Plan - Road Need Study
The Township is creating a Road Network Plan to assess current roads needs and to plan for future requirements. As part of this work, traffic counts, speed assessments and intersection reviews have been conducted at over 100 locations across the Township. Highlights of the plan include a thorough review of the following aspects:
Roads Needs Study
- Road System Inventory
- Minimum Maintenance Standards Classification
- Road Condition Appraisal & Needs Assessment
- Determine sustainable funding levels to maintain road standards
Road System and Operations
- Traffic Operations - Existing Conditions
- Travel Speeds
- Road classifications
- Road/Transportation Network
- Sidewalks and trails
- Accommodation of applicable standards
Emergency Detour Routes (EDR)
- Establish EDRs for highway system
- Provide recommendations to update Transportation policies within the Township's Official Plan.
- Review current Township road standards relating to road classification and cross-sections.
- Confirm applicability of standards in context of road classification, traffic volumes and other appropriate measures.
- Present recommended changes for consideration (local road vs. collector road, urban road vs. rural road, residential road vs. industrial road, etc.)
- Determine service levels and conditions for assumption of private roads located within the Township.
The municipality's roads network is one of its most vital assets and is a crucial service for our residents and businesses. The Township is continuing to refine its plan to ensure the sustainability of the infrastructure is addressed in a comprehensive and economically viable manner.
Additional and Important Information Regarding the Road Network Plan: