June 13, 2023 Update
The Township is moving forward with the first phase of the revised traffic calming configuration on Line 15 North between Bass Lake Side Road and Highway 12. This will include:
- Removal of north-bound directional closure
- Installation of crosswalk and all-way stop at Barr Avenue
- Installation of vertical gates
- Line painting
Please note these changes will come into effect Wednesday, June 14, 2023.
The second phase will include installation of speed humps, seasonal planters, and parking delineators at the beach area which are anticipated to be installed by the end of June 2023.
Line 15 North from Bass Lake Sideroad to Highway 12 is a 1.4 km stretch of roadway under the jurisdiction of the Township. This segment is a narrow road providing access to residential roads, Bass Lake Provincial Park, and waterfront access on the north-west shore of Bass Lake.
Over the past several years, the segment of road from Bass Lake Sideroad to Highway 12 has experienced a significant increase in traffic volumes and travel speeds associated with growth in west Orillia and is now being used as bypass from Hwy 12 to west Orillia.
In response to traffic safety concerns along the Bass Lake Sideroad to Highway 12 road segment, a number of traffic calming initiatives have been piloted over the past several years.
With a further effort to address concerns, the Township implemented more restrictive measures during the summer of 2022, as a one year pilot project, which included a northbound directional closure at Bass Lake Sideroad, and installation of chicanes.
The directional closure was effective at reducing traffic volume, which is positive. However, the closure resulted in a significant hazard at the Line 15 North/Bass Lake Sideroad intersection with a high degree of non-compliance with vehicles circumventing the north bound directional closure. Taking these factors into consideration, revised traffic calming measures will be implemented including:
- discontinuation of the directional closure;
- reconfiguration of traffic calming to remove chicanes and replace with additional vertical gates and speed humps;
- extension of the Community Safety Zone to year-round application;
- reconfiguration of permit parking area and installation of planters;
- implementation of pedestrian cross over and all-way stop at the Barr Avenue intersection;
- installation of additional pedestrian signage;
- continued work with OPP regarding targeted enforcement;
- continued discussion and traffic planning with the City of Orillia; and
- continued monitoring and collection of data to make adjustments as necessary.
These measures will address the safety of the intersection as well as safety along Line 15 North.
Following implementation, the Township will continue to monitor the revised traffic calming measures and make adjustments as deemed necessary. The Township will also continue discussions with the City of Orillia regarding the City’s continued development, and the impacts development has on this area of the Township.