The Township of Oro-Medonte is committed to identifying and removing barriers, as well as preventing new barriers, for persons with disabilities.
The Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 (AODA) Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005, S.O. 2005, c. 11 was passed by the Provincial Government as a means of ensuring that goods, services, facilities, employment, buildings, structures and premises would be accessible to all residents by January 1, 2025.
The AODA consists of the following accessibility standards:
- Customer Service
- Information and Communication
- Built Environment
- Transportation All standards, with the exception of Transportation, apply to the Township.
Multi-Year Accessibility Plan and Report
Under the AODA, all municipalities must prepare multi-year accessibility plans that identify which the actions the Township used in the past year as well as our future plans to identify, remove and prevent barriers confronting people with disabilities. Our Plan and Report was prepared with input from our Accessibility Advisory Committee.
For more information on the Joint Accessibility Advisory Committee or activities, please contact: Donna Hewitt, Director Corporate & Services at (705) 487-2171 Ext 2142 or by e-mail to Donna Hewitt.
- 2019-2023 Accessibility Plan
- 2019 Annual Accessibility Report
- 2021 Accessibility for Ontarian's with Disabilities Compliance Report
- CS2022-02 Annual Accessibility Report
- Making Ontario Accessible | Ministry of Community and Social Services
- Independent Living Services of Simcoe County & Area
- Service Canada: People with Disabilities
Do Private Businesses Need to Comply?
Compliance with the Accessible Customer Service Standard came into effect for private businesses on January 1st, 2012. To find out more on the requirements of businesses under the legislation and how to comply, please visit the Ministry of Community and Social Services website: Customer Service for Private Sector; or check out their videos on YouTube.
Sign up for our Council Highlights & Township Updates Newsletter
Stay up-to-date with Council meetings, important topics of discussion, and relevant information by subscribing to the Council Highlights & Township Updates eNewsletter!