The Township operates 14 municipally controlled water systems located throughout the municipality’s 61,000 hectares of land that deliver safe and reliable drinking water to approximately 2,500 properties in the municipality.
The Township is committed to delivering and maintaining a safe drinking water supply and protecting our source water. Drinking water is heavily regulated by the Province of Ontario. We encourage residents to visit
Drinking Water Ontario Website for more information on drinking water in Ontario.
Municipal Water System Facts
- The majority of residents in Oro-Medonte are on private wells.
- There are residents who are on a privately-owned/operated water systems.
- There are residents who are on Municipally-owned/operated water systems.
- The Township has operational control over 14 water systems located across the municipality.
- 11 municipally owned plus a contract at Big Cedar, The Lake Simcoe Regional Airport and Braestone
The water operations in the Township are 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. Operations include; monitoring, inspection, testing, Drinking Water Quality Management System -DWQMS, remote Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition - SCADA control.
All water and wastewater operators and operations in Ontario are governed by the following regulations and acts, including:
- Certification of Drinking Water System Operators and Water Quality Analysts, Ontario Regulation 128/04 of the Safe Drinking Water Act (Reg 129/04 Licensing of Sewage Works Operators)
- The Safe Drinking Water Act (SDWA)
- The Ontario Water Resources Act (OWRA)
- Drinking Water Systems Regulation, Ontario Regulation 170/03 of the Safe Drinking Water Act
- Ontario Regulation 169/03 (Water Quality Standards)
- Drinking Water Quality Management Program (DWQMS)
- Regulation 903 (Wells)
- Regulation 318/319 (Halls)
The Township's licensed water operators ensure the safe and reliable delivery of drinking water to customers. Operators are responsible for several testing, monitoring, and operations programs including:
- Chlorine Residual Testing
- Bacteriological Testing
- SCADA Equipment Calibration
- Chemical Testing
- Alkalinity and Lead Testing
- Well Head Inspections
- Turbidity Monitoring
- Flushing Programs
- Hydrant and Valve Maintenance Programs
- Flow Meter Calibration Program
- Generator Maintenance Program
- Reservoir & Standpipe Maintenance
- Pressure Gauge Checks and Control Valve Maintenance