Township of Oro-Medonte By-law No. 2012-067, Fireworks By-law, regulates the sale and discharge of fireworks within the geographical boundaries of the Township.
In accordance with the Fireworks By-law, no person(s) shall sell or discharge any Fireworks without first obtaining such license or permit from the Township, as may be required, and, no person shall discharge fireworks when a fire ban is in effect in the Township.
The Fireworks By-law also prohibits the selling, buying and discharge of Firecrackers within the Township.
- Are outdoor low hazard fireworks generally used for recreational purposes and commonly known as showers, fountains, wheels, sparklers, roman candles, volcanoes, mines and snakes. These are the typical fireworks set off by individuals.
- Are high hazard fireworks generally used for community celebrations and known as bombshells aerial shells, large wheels and bombardons. These are the large fireworks displays.
- No person shall advertise the sale of, display or sell fireworks without first obtaining a license from the Township.
- All licenses issued pursuant to the By-law shall expire on December 31st of the year it is issued.
- Application for the Selling of Consumer Fireworks
- Consumer Retail Firework Package
Discharge Consumer Fireworks
- Any person wishing to discharge consumer fireworks on any day shall obtain a permit from the Township. A permit is not required to discharge fireworks on Victoria Day, Canada Day, New Year's Eve, and New Year's Day.
- Consumer fireworks being set off on any day of the year shall only be set off between dusk and 11:00 p.m. On New Year's Eve consumer fireworks shall only be set off between dusk and 1:00 a.m. of the following day.
- No person under the age of eighteen (18) years of age shall purchase or discharge fireworks
- Fireworks shall not be discharged in a manner that may create a danger to any person or property.
- Fireworks shall not be discharged in, on or into any building, structure or motor vehicle
- Application to Discharge Consumer Fireworks
Discharge Display Fireworks
- No person shall hold a display of or discharge display fireworks without obtaining a permit from the Township prior to the event.
- Only persons who hold a valid certificate issued by the Explosives Regulatory Division of Natural Resources Canada shall be permitted to discharge display fireworks.
- Application to Discharge Display Fireworks
- License to Sell Fireworks $300.00
- Permit to Discharge Display Fireworks $150.00
- Permit to Discharge Consumer Fireworks $50.00
Sign up for our Council Highlights & Township Updates Newsletter
Stay up-to-date with Council meetings, important topics of discussion, and relevant information by subscribing to the Council Highlights & Township Updates eNewsletter!