Zoning Certificates/Building Permit Submissions
To ensure the Development Services Department is providing the most efficient customer service to the public, the following process has been implemented to ensure the required planning approvals are in place before submitting an Application for a Building Permit. Planning staff are the first contact for counter or phone inquiries, which ensures that projects can be reviewed for compliance with various planning documents prior to the submission of a “complete” building permit application. The purpose is to ensure that customer service is improved for contractors and residents in the Township, by providing them with guidance regarding the items they need to provide and meet with respect of the Township’s Zoning By-law, and any other planning related regulations and policies before commencing the building permit process.
An Application for Zoning Certificate will confirm that the proposed construction meets the regulations of the Township’s Zoning By-law or identify concerns with the proposed work. Planning staff will review the application to determine if the construction is exempt from the requirement of a Zoning Certificate or whether additional approvals are required from other department or agencies.
The following is the submission sequence:
Planning First/Zoning Certificate
- Contact the Planning Division to submit a Zoning Certificate application along with the required drawings in order to obtain a Zoning Certificate. The Planning Division will inform you of the requirements for approvals from Ministry of Transportation, County of Simcoe, or Conservation Authorities.
Complete Building Permit Submission
- Owner/Applicant to obtain all required permit approvals from the above authorities.
- Submit a completed building permit application along with all required drawings, engineered lot grading details, an approved Zoning Certificate, and all certificates and approvals from any outside authorities.
Note: Only building permit applications with all required drawings, engineering and related approvals. If you are missing information, your application will be refused at the counter. By submitting a complete application it will allow for processing within Ministry timeframes. All permit fees and engineered lot grading deposits (when required) shall be paid at permit submission.
For additional questions, contact Planning or Building Division staff.
List of Exemptions from Zoning Certificate requirement (Building Permit may still be required)
- Foundation repairs
- Solid Fuel Burning Woodstoves and Fireplaces including chimney repairs
- Septic System Tank Replacement
- Repair to Retaining Wall
- Back Flow Prevention Devices
- Roof Top Solar Panels
- Interior renovation unless related to Change of Use or Accessory Apartment
- Fire/Smoke Alarms
- Roof Repairs unless change in height
- Window Replacement
- Water Meter Installation