Smoke Alarm Success Story
On February 22, 2023 Mrs. and Mr. Fickett awoke shortly after 6:00 a.m. to the sounds of their smoke alarms in full alert.
The family's home was filled with smoke from a burning furnace located on the main level. Immediately, Mrs. Fickett acted reaching for her new fire extinguisher, and extinguished the burning appliance. She evacuated Mr. Fickett who is confined to a wheelchair and dialled 911 initiating emergency response. The Fickett's had an emergency plan and initiated action at once resulting in preservation of their safety and wellbeing, along with their family home.
Oro-Medonte Fire & Emergency Services (OMFES) arrived on scene and confirmed the fire had been extinguished, making sure the Fickett's were safe and sound.
Mrs. and Mr. Fickett are the true superheroes in this story. Their passion for fire safely has led to this very happy ending. Their succuss story is truly based on having working smoke and carbon monoxide alarms, alerting Mrs. and Mr. Fickett when danger was present during their sleep.
Being a practical gift giving gentleman, Mr. Fickett purchased a new fire extinguisher in lieu of flowers for his beautiful and precious wife this past Valentines Day. This loving gift received only 8 days previous was used to extinguish the fire. A great deal of credit is due to Mrs. Fickett's rapid thinking and shifting her fire safety plan into action.
The Fickett's have been happily married for over 32 years. OMFES wish you an eternity of blessed and fire safe moments along with a lifetime of practical fire prevention gifts; nothing says “I Love You" more than fire safety!
Protect the ones you love - test, check and inspect for working smoke and carbon monoxide alarms.
Thanks to Working Smoke Alarms and Quick Action, Oro-Medonte Residents and Pets Are Safe
On Wednesday, January 29, 2020, Oro-Medonte resident Carol Hyatt and Bella, her lovely Bichon Frise, were in the kitchen of her home when she discovered a burning smell, and saw traces of smoke coming from one of her kitchen cupboards. Smoke alarms activated as Carol opened her cupboard where she found small flames coming from a battery bag that Carol uses to recycle unwanted batteries. The flames from the bag carried onto Carol’s wooden cupboards, leaving soot deposits and fire patterns as indicated in the photos below
With Carol’s quick thinking, she was able to quickly extinguish the fire inside of her cupboard, and safely remove the charred remains of the recycling bag and batteries to outside of her home. Not an hour prior to the fire breaking out, Carol had added some small button batteries to her recycling collection that consisted of everyday AA alkaline batteries.
Carol was concerned regarding fire safety and contacted Oro-Medonte Fire & Emergency Services to make them aware of what had happened. Oro-Medonte Fire & Emergency Services were very happy that Carol took pride in fire safety with multiple smoke and carbon monoxide alarms installed throughout her home. It was these working alarms that notified Carol when danger was present. Without working alarms, the situation could have had a very different outcome.
Oro-Medonte Fire & Emergency Services provided information and education to Carol regarding safe storage of household batteries, and discussed household extinguishers. The importance of having working smoke and carbon monoxide alarms was reinforced.
Oro-Medonte Fire & Emergency Services recommends taping both the positive and negative terminals of batteries by simply placing a single piece of tape around the top and bottom of the battery cell, covering both terminal ends so that they may not come into contact with metal and/or other batteries. On 9 volt batteries, place a piece of tape around the terminal springs to prevent smaller button cell batteries from being wedged in-between the terminal. This should be completed prior to recycling.
Thank you Carol for allowing us to share your success story with our community. We hope everyone tests, inspects and checks all of their smoke and CO Alarms; keeping our community safe!
For additional battery safety tips, please visit and read these documents:
Thanks to Working Carbon Monoxide Alarm, Oro-Medonte Residents Safe from Carbon Monoxide
On October 29, 2019 Oro-Medonte Fire & Emergency Services responded to a residential occupancy with a carbon monoxide alarm sounding.
Oro-Medonte resident Fiona Barrie, was awakened from her peaceful nightly slumber by the alerting sound of their carbon monoxide alarm. John Barrie, while on the telephone for work at the time was startled too. The alarm was notifying them that danger was present inside their home. It was imperative they reacted to the sounding alarm, exiting the home to a safe environment.
For Fiona and John it was all too real. The presence of the dangerous carbon monoxide gas, surrounding the warm and loving place they call home, became terribly shocking for their two lovely kitties Kobe, Maya and themselves.
After exiting the home and dialing 911, the family waited for Fire & Emergency Services to arrive. With quick response, firefighters entered the structure only to find readings of carbon monoxide throughout the house
It is certain, that due to having working carbon monoxide alarms, this family was saved from harm.
Oro-Medonte Fire & Emergency Services reminds everyone that has a fuel-burning appliance, a fireplace or an attached garage, you must have a working CO alarm adjacent to each sleeping area of the home.
For more CO safety tips, you can contact or visit:
Thank-you Fiona, John, Kobe and Maya for allowing us to share your success story with our community. We hope everyone tests, inspects and checks all their Smoke and CO Alarms. Keeping our community safe!