Municipal Water Systems Information, Water Meters & Flushing
Municipal Water System Information
Township systems use chlorination only. Chlorination is the process of adding chlorine to drinking water to disinfect it and kill germs. The Township adds chlorine to the groundwater well supply as sodium hypochlorite (NaOCl). While chlorine could be harmful in high doses, when added to water in mixing doses the result is low levels that kill germs but still permit consumption of safe drinking water.
- Township pumps water from groundwater aquifers, adds chlorine, through process control establishes chlorine contact time, sends to storage then to distribution system
- Chlorine concentrations are monitored (auto analyzer 24/7/365, verified by hand held) at disinfection injection point while chlorine residual concentrations are monitored at outgoing to distribution and throughout the distribution system
Water metering is an integral part of water conservation programs. Environmental Services uses Smart Point radio frequency water meter units which permit Township staff to complete walk-by or drive-by water meter readings, automatically collect consumption data from water customers, and quickly transfer that data to a central database for billing and analysis. These units simplify meter reading operations, support the long-term development of the network, and enhance employee and customer safety.
Water System Flushing
During the spring and summer months, Township staff will be completing maintenance flushing of municipal water systems. Signs will be posted at subdivision entrances twenty-four (24) hours prior to planned maintenance flushing taking place. You may notice brown water in your home for a short period after flushing. If this occurs, run your cold water tap until the water clears. It is recommended that you refrain from using water in your home or doing laundry during scheduled flushing operations to prevent
discolouration of your laundry.
Environmental Services is also responsible for small system water operations & maintenance at 11 community locations. Drinking water at these locations are disinfected using UV technology.
- Township of Oro-Medonte Municipal Office
- Bayview Memorial Park
- Hawkestone Community Hall
- Old Town Hall
- Oro-Medonte Community Arena
- Edgar Hall
- Vasey Ball Park
- Carley Community Hall
- Eady Community Hall
- Jarratt Community Hall
- Willis Presbyterian Church