Ontario Wildlife Damage Compensation Program
Predation Claims - Notice of Temporary Adjustments During COVID-19
Please note that procedures regarding submission of a claim under the Ontario Wildlife Damage Compensation Program have been changed due to the COVID-19 State of Emergency declared by the Province of Ontario as follows:
- Onsite investigations are not required during the Provincial COVID-19 State of Emergency.
- Investigators can now conduct telephone investigations in order to comply with physical distancing protocols.
- The owner shall take pictures and submit them to the investigator via email.
- The investigator may ask questions over the phone in order to complete the investigation.
- At this time, signatures are not required. Once the investigator has completed their investigation, all forms and photos shall be submitted to the Township to be processed and submitted to the Ontario Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs (OMAFRA) for processing.
If you have any questions regarding the above changes, please contact Sheila Spring by email.
The Township of Oro-Medonte Clerk's Department co-ordinates claims under the Ontario Wildlife Damage Compensation Program (an amendment of the Livestock, Poultry and Honey Bee Protection Act, R.S.O. 1990, Chapter L.24).
The purpose of the Program is to provide compensation to eligible Applicants whose Livestock and/or Poultry have been Injured or killed as a result of Wildlife or whose Bee Colonies, Beehives and/or Beehive Related Equipment has been damaged as a result of Wildlife.
The owner must provide a Premise ID number and a valid Farm Business Registration number on the Program Application (i.e. Investigator’s Report) for a claim to be eligible for compensation.
If you are submitting an application under The Ontario Wildlife Damage Compensation Program, you MUST, within 48 hours of discovering the injury or death, notify the Township at 705-487-2171 and Notify a Municipal Investigator.
The Township's Municipal Investigators are:
- Andy McNiven - (705) 330-5425
- Kevin Woodrow - (705) 835-2915
For instructions of how to obtain a Premise ID number, please contact the Agriculture Information Contact Centre at 1-877-424-1300 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
For instructions of how to obtain a Farm Business Registration Number, please contact Agricorp at 1-866-327-3678 or at email@example.com to register.
Livestock and poultry injured or killed by dogs will be covered not by this regulation but are covered under the Protection of Livestock and Poultry from Dogs Act, R.S.O. 1990, c. L.24.
Additional information on the Ontario Wildlife Damage Compensation Program can be found at www.ontario.ca/predation.