Third Party Advertiser Information
A Third Party Advertiser (TPA) is a message in any medium such as broadcast, print, electronic, or other medium that supports or opposes a candidate; or a question on the ballot.
The following persons and entities are eligible to register as a TPA:
- An individual who is normally a resident in Ontario.
- A corporation that carries on business in Ontario.
- A trade union that holds bargaining rights for employees in Ontario.
Third party advertising must be done independently of candidates who are not able to direct a third party advertiser.
Candidates are not able to register as a TPA.
The following persons or entities are
eligible to register as a TPA:
A candidate whose nomination has been filed.
- A federal political party registered under the Canada Elections Act or any federal constituency association or registered candidate at a federal election endorsed by that party.
- A provincial political party, constituency association, registered candidate or leadership contestant registered under the Election Finances Act.
- The Crown in right of Canada or Ontario, a municipality or local board.
Registration Requirements of a TPA
TPA's are required to register with the clerk of the municipality prior to incurring any expenses for advertisement (opposing or supporting a candidate).
If a TPA is going to advertise in more than one (1) municipality, they have to register in each municipality they plan to advertise in.
There is no registration fee required.
Notice to Publishers and Broadcasters
A registered third party advertiser shall not cause a third party advertisement to appear during the restricted period unless he, she or it provides the following information to the broadcaster or publisher in writing:
- The name of the registered third party advertiser.
- The name, business address and telephone number of the individual who deals with the broadcaster or publisher under the direction of the registered third party.
- The municipality where the registered third party is registered.
No broadcaster or publisher shall cause a third party advertisement to appear between May 1, 2018 and October 22, 2018 if the information set out above has not been provided.
The broadcaster or publisher of a third party advertisement shall maintain records containing the following information for a period of four years after the date of the advertisement appears and shall permit the public to inspect the records during normal business hours:
The information provided by the above TPA to the broadcaster or publisher;
- A copy of the advertisement, or the means of reproducing it for inspection; and
- A statement of the charge made for its appearance.
A TPA is restricted to expense limits, must file a financial statement and may be subject to a Compliance Audit Committee review.
Third Party Advertiser Registration Packages
Third Party Advertiser Information Package/Registration Forms are currently available at the Township Administration Centre.
May 1, 2018 at 8:30 AM to October 19, 2018 at 4:30 PM
All documents filed with the Clerk as part of a TPA's registration are deemed to be public information. Upon certification of the candidates after the close of the Nomination Period on July 27, 2018, all nomination, endorsement, and registration forms will be made publically available on the Township's website as soon as reasonably possible. Any newly received registrations after this date will be added to the website in a timely manner.
If an individual wishes to view this documentation, it is available to view in person during regular office hours of the clerk's office. Copies may be made in accordance with the Township's Fees & Charges By-law 2018-044 at the cost is $0.75/per page.
Section 88(5) of the Municipal Elections Act states: Despite anything in the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, documents and materials filed with or prepared by the clerk or any other election official under this Act are public records and, until their destruction, may be inspected by any person a the clerk's office at a time when the office is open.