The Little Brick Church
Some may not know that churches played an important part in the community structure of early Oro-Medonte. What is probably not as well known was that there were numerous churches built in every hamlet and village. They were actively supported by ministers, trustees, Ladies groups, and general membership. Almost every community was impacted by the local church as they held socials, ball teams, garden parties, harvest suppers, etc. Typical of the time was the Little Brick Church on the corner of the 6th Concession and the Ridge Road.
The present structure was built at a cost of $1200 and officially dedicated on February 18, 1883. The 42ft. X 28ft. structure has stained glass windows, plasters moldings and was neat both inside and out. It had a picket fence that was erected on the south side next to the Ridge Road. Chimney flues erected on the south side of the church were moved to the north side of the building in 1898.
In May 1883, according to a W. McDonald (minister) who wrote for the Christian Journal of Toronto, "a successful opening with a large congregation, good collection and much rejoicing" was the beginning of a very successful and active church that for many decades provided most of the religious and social needs of the local community.
Like many churches their congregations migrated to larger facilities as improved transportation developed and as a result smaller churches were abandoned. The official closing was in 1968 and because it is still well maintained, even today, occasional weddings and funerals are conducted there and every July a memorial service is held.