Oro-Medonte Economic Development Strategy
The Township is currently in the final stages of updating its Economic Development Strategy. The objective of updating the strategy has been to create a plan that includes SMART (specific; measurable; achievable; realistic; and timely) goals and objectives that reflect the current business environment in Oro-Medonte and the surrounding area, the strategic priorities for the corporation and its stakeholders, and the resources available to carry out the projects.
Township staff have been working with the regional Rural Economic Development Advisor from the Ontario Ministry of Agriculture, Food, and Rural Affairs (OMAFRA) to update the strategy. A series of consultations, workshops, and planning sessions were held from late-October of 2016 through early-February of 2017. These sessions included:
- An External Stakeholder Consultation Session that included representatives from regional economic development organizations and major local industries such as agriculture, tourism, manufacturing, and real estate;
- OMAFRA’s Community Economic Development (CED) 101 Workshop to provide an overview of economic development practices and activities, and to help establish roles, responsibilities, priorities, and direction for the plan; and
- Three (3) Strategic Planning Sessions during special meetings of Council that refined the direction of the plan, established its scope, identified specific goals and objectives, and developed performance measures.
Feedback received through a number of recently completed projects was also taken into account when shaping the direction of the updated strategy. These projects include:
- A regional Business Retention and Expansion study;
- A regional Tourism Asset Mapping study;
- A First Impressions Community Exchange program; and
- Community and Staff Satisfaction Surveys.
Before being presented to Council for endorsement, we wanted to give you a chance to look at what has been developed through this process and to provide your feedback.
Below, you will find an outline of the updated strategy in draft form. Included in the draft plan are a proposed vision statement and four proposed goals that have been developed, along with specific objectives for each goal.
Provide your feedback by Friday, June 30th, by emailing
firstname.lastname@example.org directly or
completing a comment form. Comment forms can also be emailed to
email@example.com or can be returned to the Township Administration Centre (ATTN: Draft Economic Development Strategy Feedback; 148 Line 7 South; Oro-Medonte, Ontario; L0L 2E0) by mail or in-person.
For more information about the Township’s economic development activities or the process for updating the strategy, please email the Township’s Economic Development staff at
firstname.lastname@example.org or call (705) 487-2171.
DRAFT Township of Oro-Medonte Economic Development Strategy
Proposed Goal 1: Champion improved access to key infrastructure such as internet and natural gas.
- Objective 1: Explore other mechanisms and best practices of how to facilitate natural gas expansion.
- Objective 2: Explore other mechanisms and best practices of how to facilitate high-speed internet expansion.
- Objective 3: Advocate to other levels of government for enhanced provision of natural gas.
- Objective 4: Advocate to other levels of government for enhanced provision of high-speed internet.
Proposed Goal 2: Address existing barriers to residential, commercial, and industrial development.
- Objective 1: Engage with other levels of government to advocate for policies and support that will enable and encourage private investment.
- Objective 2: Explore new mechanisms to facilitate the development of privately-owned industrial and commercial-zoned lands.
- Objective 3: Enhance the Township’s readiness to attract and retain new investment.
Proposed Goal 3: Develop and promote Oro-Medonte as a premier four-season tourism destination.
- Objective 1: Support and promote mechanisms that enhance the development of new and existing product through four seasons tourism in the Township.
- Objective 2: Maintain and enhance tourism/recreational infrastructure in the Township.
Proposed Goal 4: Provide a supportive environment for entrepreneurs to start and grow a business.
- Objective 1: Provide Township businesses with support and connections to regional resources to start and grow their business.
- Objective 2: Become a resource hub to guide new and existing businesses through Township planning and building processes.